Some links that have caught my eye of late:
- Facebook Exodus [NYTimes.com] — "Things fall apart; the center cannot hold. Facebook, the online social grid, could not command loyalty forever…"
- Bumpy Pitch — retro US soccer shirts. — Very cool. Love the Beth Steel FC tee, especially.
- The Chart of Fantasy Art [The Publisher Files] — Which artistic elements are most common on fantasy book covers? Swords and "glowy magic" lead the way…
- "Best of Wikipedia" — [bestofwikipedia.tumblr.com] — Via kottke.org
- "We Can't Afford to Ignore Myanmar" — Sen. Jim Webb's NY Times op-ed — US Sen. Jim Webb writes about his recent visit to Myanmar, US engagement, and China's influence.
- Showcase: Forgotten Elephants [Lens Blog — NYTimes.com] — "Once the revered symbol of Thai culture, the backbone of industry and the protector of the country’s sovereignty during war, elephants now wander the streets of Bangkok, reduced to providing rides for tourists and helping their owners beg for their next meal."
- Is Britain really like The Wire? [BBC} — "It's a TV series featuring murderous villains, cynical politicians and corrupt, lazy detectives. Fans of The Wire say it's a realistic portrayal of American poverty, violence and hopelessness. But what, if anything, do the mean streets of Baltimore, Maryland, have to do with Britain?"
- Old Growth Media And The Future Of News [StevenBerlinJohnson.com] — "I think that steady transformation from desert to jungle may be the single most important trend we should be looking at when we talk about the future of news."
- "Twitter Postings: Iterative Design" [Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox] — How to write easy-to-read tweets.
- NY Times: Journalists who cover Myanmar may have had their email hacked
- By Me Yesterday: Google Street View Comes to Bangladesh
- In This Weeks’s Newley’s Notes: Stand-Up Desk Benefits; ‘Brexit’ Explainer; ‘Blade Runner’ Typography; the Business of Guns
- Recent Stories Round-Up: Telcos in Myanmar; InMobi, Snapdeal, Facebook in India
- 142 Photos from the ‘Blade Runner’ Model Shop