Sent as a newsletter January 10, 2022. Want to join my email list? Sign up here.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
Image of the week, above: I hope your holiday season was restful, and that you got a chance to see friends and family. Onward and upward to 2022!
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 👉 Out just before the new year, a WSJ Facebook Files story I helped with: What happened inside the company when whistleblower Frances Haugen stepped forward. The hed: Facebook’s Pushback: Stem the Leaks, Spin the Politics, Don’t Say Sorry.
2) 🍎 A story I wrote last Monday: India Hits Apple With Antitrust Investigation Over App-Store Practices
3) 🇭🇰 And one I wrote Friday: Hong Kong Officials Quarantined After Covid–19 Case at Tapas Birthday Party
4) 📚 New on Newley.com: The Best Books I Read in 2021.
6) 🩸 Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes was convicted on four counts of fraud. But her legal fight is far from over.
7) 😔 RIP Sidney Poitier.
8) 😿 And RIP Betty White.
9) 💫 Here is a gorgeous, close-up image of a comet.
10) 👏 100 things Austin Kleon enjoyed in 2021.
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
💡 Quote of the week:
“The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best – and therefore never scrutinize or question.” – Stephen Jay Gould
🤗 What’s new with you? Hit reply to send me tips, queries, random comments, and brave dogs who just want to join in the fun.
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,