Hi. I’m Newley Purnell. I cover technology and business at The Wall Street Journal, based in Hong Kong. I write about global tech companies and how they’re fighting for users in some of the world’s most populous countries.
How to contact me
- For news tips, you can send me email at: email@example.com. (My personal email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- My mobile number is +85269099615
- To contact me securely, you can reach me on Signal at that number. You can download Signal here if you don’t have the app.
- If you prefer not to use your mobile number, you can use the Wire messaging app. You can download it here. My username is @Newley. You can also find me on the Wickr (download it here) app, as @newleypurnell.
- You can send me postal mail at:
The Wall Street Journal
25/F, Central Plaza
18 Harbour Road, Wanchai
Subscribe to my newsletter
- Subscribe to my weekly email newsletter to get links to my stories and other items I think are worth sharing.
RSS and Social media
- I’m active on Twitter at @newley.
- I’m @Newley on Instagram.
- You can subscribe to my public Facebook updates and like my Facebook page.
- Here’s the Newley.com RSS feed.
- You can find me on LinkedIn here.
- I am married to the amazing Anasuya Sanyal.
- We are owned by have an adorable dog named Ginger.
- I grew up in two remarkable places: Eastern Oregon and the South Carolina Lowcountry.
- I earned a BA in English from Emory University, where I played goalkeeper on the varsity soccer team.
- I received a master’s in business and economics journalism from Columbia University in New York. At Columbia, I was fortunate to be a Gray International Reporting Fellow.
- Some recent podcast interviews: In December 2019 I was on The Journal podcast to discuss a page one story I wrote about India changing rules for U.S. tech titans. I discussed similar themes on the Asia Matters podcast.
About this site
- I registered Newley.com in 1999, began posting material on the site in 2001, and have been blogging consistently since January 2002.
- Over the years, Newley.com has been mentioned in popular blogs like BoingBoing and Kottke.org, as well as in Lonely Planet, in print and online.
- I mostly share links to my stories, but also post about books, summing up notable titles I’ve read in my Book Notes posts. Sometimes I delve into sports (mostly soccer) and put together HOWTO guides on gadgets, travel and more.
- Here are some of my most popular posts.
- Other stuff: I maintain a Starbucks Misspellings page to document baristas’ interpretations of my admittedly unusual name.
- In blog posts I published through the end of 2013, I occasionally linked to books or other items on Amazon.com using a personal affiliate link. This meant if you clicked through and bought the item, I received a small referral fee. I no longer use such links.
- I post whenever time allows, and often share links via my Twitter feed.
- This blog contains my personal thoughts. My postings do not represent the views of my employers or any other groups. Also, a formatting note: Unless otherwise stated, bold font added to quoted material in my posts indicates my emphasis, not the author’s.
- Newley.com runs on the WordPress content management system.
- My Web host is DreamHost.
- I use the Mac-only MarsEdit desktop blog editor.
- This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
- I welcome feedback via comments on individual posts and via email. I delete comments that I think don’t add anything constructive to the site.
Thanks for visiting.
This page was last updated April 10, 2020.