👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
If you like NN, please share this link so others can subscribe.
👉 Image of the week, above: The final issue of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy Apple Daily newspaper. The headline says, “Hong Kongers Bid a Painful Farewell in the Rain.” More details below.
🚨 Correction: In last week’s NN I shared a photo of an adorable puppy from a shelter here in Hong Kong. I said his name was Lucas, but I’m told that it is actually Edmund. I regret the error!
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 🇭🇰 Apple Daily printed its last paper, “ending an era of unfettered reporting critical of Beijing in the city’s mainstream print scene.” [WSJ]
2) 👉 A condo near Miami collapsed Thursday, killing nine people – and another 152 people are unaccounted for. [NPR]
3) 🔥 The U.S. Pacific Northwest is seeing record-breaking sweltering weather. [AP]
4) 💻 John McAfee, creator of the well-known antivirus company, died in a jail cell in Spain, where he had been ordered extradited to the U.S. on criminal charges. [WSJ]
5) 🛸 The U.S. government officially cannot explain what’s behind the many UFO – make that unidentified aerial phenomena – sightings stretching back to 2004, according to a new report from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. [New York Times; DNI dot gov]
6) 👏 Headline of the week: “When an Eel Climbs a Ramp to Eat Squid From a Clamp, That’s a Moray.” [New York Times]
7) ⛳ Paul McBeth, a professional disc golfer, landed a $10 million endorsement deal. [The Ringer]
8) 📆 Want a new perspective on time? View your life in weeks. [Coruscant Consulting]
9) 😄 Podcast of the week: Patricia Corby, Associate Professor of Oral Medicine and Associate Dean of Translational Research at Penn Dental Medicine, goes deep with Peter Attia on the importance of oral health as we age. [Peter Attia MD]
10) 📺 “The 21 Best Comedies of the 21st Century (So Far)” [New York Times]
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
🐶 “Dogs are gonna dog.” [Imgur]
💡 Quote of the week:
"Do not seek to have events happen as you want them to, but instead want them to happen as they do happen, and your life will go well.” – Epictetus
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,