Sent as a newsletter on June 6,2021. Didn’t arrive in your inbox? Join my email list.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
👉 Image of the week, above: another amazing Hong Kong vanity plate. Spotted by A.
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 🇭🇰 Thousands of people here in Hong Kong marked the anniversary Friday of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre despite massive numbers of police on the streets [WSJ]
2) 🚨 Facebook said its suspension of Donald Trump’s accounts will run at least until January 2023. [WSJ]
3) 💻 Facing the prospect returning to the office, some workers in the U.S. are quitting instead. [Bloomberg]
4) 👀 Bigger pupils = higher intelligence? [Scientific American]
5) 🗣 Eunoia is a new website cataloging more than 500 untranslatable words from various languages. [Eunoia dot world]
6) 🌋 Mario David García Mansilla bakes a special kind of pizza: cooked on a volcano in Guatemala. [Atlas Obscura]
7) #️⃣ #Hashtags were cool, then they were uncool, and now young influencers are bringing ’em back. [LA Times]
8) ❓ Ask Reddit: “What is a simple, painful fact that people need to just get over and accept?” [Reddit]
9) 📹 Please enjoy this compendium of the best dumb internet videos of all time. [Polygon]
10) 🍴 “Roadrunner” is a new documentary about Anthony Bourdain out July 16. [YouTube]
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
🐕 “A hug is worth a thousand words.” [YouTube]
📺 What I’ve Been Reading:
I’ve had a copy of Jonathan Haidt’s “The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom” kicking around the house for some time, but had never opened it. I’m so glad I finally did. I’m not even finished and it already ranks among my favorite books about happiness – and what makes for a fulfilling life – that I’ve encountered. It is beautifully written, deeply researched, sharply argued, and highly comforting. More soon on its lessons, I’m sure.
💡 Quote of the week:
“Well done is better than well said.” – Benjamin Franklin
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,