Sent as a newsletter on May 30,2021. Didn’t arrive in your inbox? Join my email list.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
🎨 Image of the week, above: a recent watercolor from a Hong Kong waterfront.
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 🆕 I had three stories out this week. On Tuesday: Indian Police Visit Twitter’s Office After Politician’s Tweet Is Labeled as Misleading. The lede:
Indian police visited Twitter Inc.’s office in New Delhi to investigate the company’s labeling of tweets from a ruling party spokesman as misleading, the government’s latest move against U.S. tech platforms amid criticism over its handling of the pandemic.
2) 💬 On Wednesday: WhatsApp Says It Filed Suit in India to Prevent Tracing of Encrypted Messages. It began:
Facebook Inc.’s WhatsApp said it filed a lawsuit in India to stop new government rules that would require the company to trace users’ encrypted messages, escalating a battle over online speech between American tech firms and the South Asian nation’s ruling party.
3) 🦠 And on Thursday: Facebook Ends Ban on Posts Asserting Covid–19 Was Man-Made. The lede:
Facebook Inc. has ended its ban on posts asserting Covid–19 was man-made or manufactured, a policy shift that reflects a deepening debate over the origins of the pandemic that was first identified in Wuhan, China, almost 18 months ago.
The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday that three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care, according to a previously undisclosed U.S. intelligence report.
4) 🇨🇳 Separately, a Covid-related must-read from my WSJ colleagues that contains deep and powerful reporting: The Wuhan Lab Leak Question: A Disused Chinese Mine Takes Center Stage.
5) 👉 People gathered Tuesday to mark one year since George Floyd died. [AP]
6) 🎬 In a move likely to strengthen its Prime Video service, Amazon is acquiring Hollywood studio MGM in a roughly $8.5 billion deal, its second-biggest acquisition after Whole Foods. [WSJ]
7) ⚽ Chelsea beat Manchester City in the Champion’s League final – and Hershey, Pennsylvania native Christian Pulisic became the first American man to play in and win the world’s most prestigious club tournament. [CBS Sports]
8) 📺 The 90s called, part 1: Here are the best parts of “Friends: The Reunion.” [AV Club]
9) 💥 The 90s called, part 2: “Johnny Knoxville’s Last Rodeo.” [GQ]
10) 🌝 Enjoy a collection of the best “super blood moon” photos. [The Guardian]
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
♥️ “Dog asks for dance with owner at his own wedding!” [Reddit/aww]
📺 What I’ve Been Watching:
💡 Quote of the week:
“Things won are done; joy’s soul lies in the doing.” – William Shakespeare, “Troilus and Cressida.”
🤗 What’s new with you? Hit reply to send me tips, queries, random comments, and videos of sweet dogs who just wanna join in dances.
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,