As promised, here are a few cell phone images I snapped at last night’s Democrat rally in front of CentralWorld mall, in the Rajaprasong area.
None of these pics are photographic masterpieces, but they should convey a sense of what the scene looked like.
1. Dems rallying at rainy Rajaprasong. Suthep on stage showing pics and video from April 10 clashes.
2. Dems at Rajaprasong: Suthep showing map of red shirt camps and photo of shot soldiers and journos.
3. Several thousand people here. Abhisit signs, blue Democrat party flags, and lots of umbrellas. Also, snacks, of course.
4. No red shirts in sight. People packed into area under cover in front of CTW. Old portion of mall behind, still being repaired.
For more, here’s an AP story about the gathering; it says:
Thailand’s prime minister rallied thousands of campaign supporters Thursday at the scene of last year’s deadly anti-government protests, defending his crackdown on demonstrators there as the best he could do under difficult circumstances.
Read the whole thing.
- Thailand update: Protesters target state telecoms — and suspected Red Shirts
- Thailand update: Democrats quit parliament, protesters to march tomorrow (Monday)
- Thailand update: Yingluck dissolves house, calls new elections—and protests continue
- Thailand update: We’ve reached a stalemate
- Thailand update: 1 killed in clashes with police, EC urges election delay, Nattawut speaks