Sent as a newsletter December 12, 2021. Want to join my email list? Sign up here.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
Image of the week, above: a recent (and delicious) hot pot meal with friends.
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 📖 My newest Books Notes post at Newley.com: “Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World,” by Cal Newport.
2) 🦠 Good news: A third shot of Pfizer/BioNTech’s Covid-vaccine neutralized the Omicron variant in lab tests.
3) 🍎 Apple may be working on the hottest new device since the iPhone, my WSJ colleauge Christopher Mims reports: an augmented reality headset or glasses.
4) 🎥 The best movies of 2021, via The New York Times’s A.O. Scott and Manohla Dargis.
5) 🗣 Related: Why it’s so hard to understand movie dialogue these days.
7) 👉 The most mispronounced words of 2021.
8) 🦦 A group of otters attacked a British man in Singapore, biting him 26 times in ten seconds.
9) 🚀 Forget using rockets to launch satellites. A startup in California wants to fling them into space instead. (Thanks, Dad!)
10) 🎧 The 50 best albums of 2021, according to Pitchfork.
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
💡 Quote of the week:
“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." – Aristotle
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,