Sent as an email newsletter July 18, 2021. Want in? Join my email list.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
⚽ 🇮🇹 Image of the week, above: that time in 2015 I bumped into the great Giorgio Chiellini in Jakarta. Chiellini, you may have seen, just captained Italy in their Euro 2020 championship win over England. I still can’t believe I actually have a photo with him 🙂 More on the Azzurri’s success below…
🚨 ✍️ Programming note: NN will be on summer holiday beginning next week. It’ll be back in your inbox in mid-August!
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 🏆 🧤 Italy beat England to win Euro 2020. Defender Chiellini, pictured with yours truly above, was outstanding, as usual. But goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma was out of this world: He made the winning penalty save and was named player of the tournament – a first for a goalkeeper. Epic. And he’s only 22!
2) 🇭🇰 The Biden administration issued an advisory cautioning U.S. businesses in Hong Kong that the “new legal landscape” here could “adversely affect businesses and individuals” as Beijing asserts control.
3) 🧭 “Roadrunner,” the new documentary about Anthony Bourdain, has just come out – and features an AI speaking in Bourdain’s voice.
4) 🚀 Richard Branson flew into space. Is a new era of private spaceflight upon us?
5) 💻 Longread of the week: Cal Newport on making remote work last.
6) 🎥 Here is a lovely collection of old movie posters.
7) 📎 Microsoft is bringing Clippy back.
8) 🧸 Toys based on dead startups.
9) 📻 Radiooooo is a “musical time machine” that spans the globe. Super cool.
10) 🔉 Emergency alarm sounds from around the world, rated.
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
💡 Quote of the week:
“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” – Robert Brault
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,