I wanted to follow up on La Monita, the new Mexican restaurant here in Bangkok. You’ll recall that I wrote about this place back in Nov., before it had opened.
My feeling is that La Monita now offers the best Mexican food in the Thai capital, though there are admittedly only a few Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants here.
A and I have now eaten at La Monita twice, and while I don’t have any images of the dishes to share, I can tell you this: the owner, Billy, knows his stuff. The food is excellent, and the atmosphere is festive and welcoming.
A few of the standout dishes include:
My suggestion for ordering is simply to ask Billy for recommendations.
Also, for drinks, I’m told that the margaritas are good. I haven’t tried them, but I really enjoyed a different — and new to me — drink: the Michelada, which Billy tells me is a popular beverage in Mexico City at the moment.
Micheladas consist of beer mixed with lime and hot sauce; they’re served in a salted glass. Here’s a WSJ story about Micheladas.
Worth a visit, to be sure.
La Monita Taqueria
888/26 Mahatun Plaza (about 100 meters down, on the left)
- Newley’s Notes 44: GrabTaxi —> Grab; Your Purpose in Life; ‘Gilmore Girls’; Taco Literacy
- Aunt Cece and Her Pecan Pie Make Their WSJ Debut
- It’s Been 5 Years Since We Adopted Our Dog, Ashley
- On Exercise and Weight Loss — and a Re-Plug for the Excellent ‘Why Calories Count’
- Snippet of the day, fast food edition