Robert Enke, the goalkeeper for the German national soccer team and club side Hannover 96, committed suicide on Tuesday. He was 32 years old. Enke was in the running to be Germany’s starting goalkeeper at the World Cup this summer.
He leaves behind his wife and their eight-month-old daughter. Enke had battled depression, his wife says. He killed himself by stepping in front of a train in Hannover.
- Quote of the Week: David Letterman Visits India
- Must-Follow World Cup Pundits: Men in Blazers
- Yes, This is a Photo of Me with Giorgio Chiellini
- Newley’s Notes 86: Alexander’s FML Day; The Wonders of Aging; On Owning Music; Tears as Signals
- Petr Cech: The Signing that Will Win Arsenal the Premier League Title