Sent as a newsletter September 12, 2023. Not on my list? Sign up here.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
Image of the week, above:
😴 Spotted on a red Ferrari here in Hong Kong: NO SLEEP. (Thanks, Anasuya!)
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 🇭🇰 Hong Kong was hit last week by mammoth downpours that seeped into subway stations and submerged cars.
2) 🤖 Artificial intelligence tool ChatGPP outperformed Wharton M.B.A. students in creating new business ideas, two professors write in the WSJ <– 🎁 Free link
3) 🎥 The inside story, from the New York Times’s Jim Stewart, of how Mattel hit it big with its blockbuster “Barbie” film.
4) 🇪🇬 Reverse-engineering Egyptian mummifying balms.
5) ⛵ The wreck of a schooner that went down in 1881 has been found in Lake Michigan.
6) 💬 A look at words that are the same, or nearly so, in every language.
7) ☕ A pean to home espresso machines.
8) 📺 The utterly wild docu-series “How To With John Wilson” has come to an end after three seasons.
9) 🎧 Podcast episode of the week, touching on ambition, happiness, and indie rock: “Does anyone actually like their job?”
10) 🐹 A Florida man was arrested while attempting to “sail” to London – in a floating hamster wheel. (Thanks, Mike S.!)
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
💡 Quote of the week:
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” – Kurt Vonnegut
🤗 What’s new with you? Hit reply to send me tips, queries, random comments, and videos of fearless canines bounding into the unknown.
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,