Sent as a newsletter August 14, 2023. Not on my list? Join here.
👋 Hi friends,
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
Image of the week, above:
🌅 A recent sunset here in Hong Kong.
My WSJ latest:
I had a story out Wednesday with my colleague Tripti Lahiri. The headline: Meta, Alphabet and Other Tech Firms Face New Data Rules in India. <— free link
And the lede:
India’s Parliament on Wednesday passed a data-protection bill years in the making that the government says is needed to regulate tech companies and protect citizens, but that rights groups say gives New Delhi too much power.
🎧 I discussed on the story on Wednesday’s WSJ What’s News podcast.
Here are 10 items worth your time this week:
1) 🇪🇨 In Ecuador, presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio was assassinated — and now his friend, a prominent investigative journalist, is running in his stead. <— free link
2) ☢️ Scientists at California’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory are making gains in achieving nuclear fusion.
3) 🏠 How two Canadian men discovered they’d been switched at birth 67 years ago.
4) ⛽️ For the first time since 1951, Oregonians can pump their own gas.
5) 🇩🇪 “This is an embarrassment, it is a cultural crisis for the German people”: Germany can’t make its trains run on time. <– free link
6) 📕 The 50 best book covers of the year.
7) 🧮 Here’s a gallery of gorgeous vintage calculators.
8) 📞 Adding to my “to watch” list: “Telemarketers,” a new HBO docu-series.
9) 🔊 This website lets you listen to Wikipedia edits as they’re being made.
10) 🐾 In which a man pays $14,000 to transform himself into a Collie.
🦴 Dog-related video of the week:
💡 Quote of the week:
“With all the tribulations and evils of life, if you could see them in a large perspective, you’d probably find some reason or excuse for them. You’d adjust yourself to them, and you’d learn to be happy even in this world.” — Will Durant
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,