Sent as an email newsletter January 18, 2021. Not a Newley’s Notes subscriber yet? Get it here.
Welcome to the latest edition of Newley’s Notes, a weekly newsletter containing my recent Wall Street Journal stories, must-read links on tech and life, and funny dog videos.
🎨 Photo of the week, above: a recent watercolor of (part of) Hong Kong’s skyline. Want a hobby that forces you to stay in the moment, and is endlessly humbling? Try watercolors!
On to this week’s NN…
Here are ten items worth your time this week:
1) 👉 Two items on the Capitol riot. First, my colleagues in the U.S. have an important story out Sunday showing how the far-right Proud Boys “invoked the president’s rhetoric to build momentum toward violent showdown.”
2) 📹 And second: There’s more video of the attack. The New Yorker’s Luke Mogelson shot some footage (and has an accompanying story), while ProPublica has hundreds of videos that were posted to Parler before the platform was taken down.
3) 🐦 Nick Bilton, author of the 2014 book “Hatching Twitter,” writing in Vanity Fair: “Twitter has locked Donald Trump’s account for 12 hours after he used it to incite violence on a deadly day in Washington. What if they had done that years ago?” (Trump was, of course, later permanently suspended.)
5) 📰 I love this: “At 80, She Is the Defiant Editor of ‘The Buzz’: Many retirement communities have declined to name names during the pandemic. So she started a newsletter to do just that.”
6) 💧 Dr. Peter Attia: “Do I really need 8 glasses of water a day?” TLDR: probably not.
7) ☀️ Pretty cool: “How Does the Sun Appear on Other Planets?”
8) 💯 “100 Tips For A Better Life,” by Conor Barnes.
9) 🏠 “The World’s Largest – and America’s Priciest – Home Is Ready for Its Close-up.” The 105,000 square foot L.A. estate costs a reported $340 million.
10) 👏 Fun photo essay of the week: “Animals interrupting wildlife photographers. A thread…”
🐕 Dog-related video of the week: “Stray dog greeting devotees outside the temple.” [Reddit]
📕 What I’m Reading
I’m enjoying “Facebook: The Inside Story,” by Steven Levy.
💡 Quote of the week:
“Everything is hard before it is easy.” – Goethe
👊 Fist bump from Hong Kong,