Hi. I’m Newley Purnell, a Wall Street Journal reporter covering technology, based in New Delhi.
My official bio:
Newley Purnell is a reporter for The Wall Street Journal based in New Delhi, where he covers technology.
Before joining in 2014, Mr. Purnell was a Bangkok-based freelance journalist, contributing to The Journal, Quartz, NewYorker.com, The New York Times, and more. He received a Bachelor of Arts in English from Emory University and a Master’s in business and economics journalism from Columbia University, where he was a Gray International Reporting Fellow. He was born in Eugene, Oregon.
How to contact me
- Personal email: n [AT] newley.com
- For news tips: newley.purnell [AT] wsj.com
- For secure messaging, email me or send me a direct message on Twitter (I’m @Newley), and I’ll give you the phone number I use for Signal.
Subscribe to my newsletter
- Subscribe to my weekly email newsletter to get links to my stories and other links I think are worth sharing.
RSS and Social media
- Follow me on Twitter at @newley.
- There’s also a Twitter feed for all Newley.com blog posts: @newleydotcom.
- In addition, you can subscribe to my public Facebook updates and like my Facebook page.
- Here’s the Newley.com RSS feed.
- I earned a BA in English from Emory University, where I played goalkeeper on the varsity soccer team.
- I received a master’s in business and economics journalism from Columbia University in New York. At Columbia, I was fortunate to be a Gray International Reporting Fellow.
- Here’s a Feb. 2015 interview I did with the Journalism School’s Covering Business website. And Bernard Leong interviewed me in Nov. 2015 for an episode of his Analyse Asia podcast.
About this site
- I registered Newley.com in 1999, began posting material on the site in 2001, and have been blogging consistently since January 2002.
- Over the years, Newley.com has been mentioned in popular blogs like BoingBoing and Kottke.org, as well as in Lonely Planet, in print and online. Here are some of my most popular posts.
- In blog posts I published through the end of 2013, I occasionally linked to books or other items on Amazon.com using a personal affiliate link. This meant if you clicked through and bought the item, I received a small referral fee. I no longer use such links.
- I post whenever time allows, and often share links via my Twitter feed.
- This blog contains my personal thoughts. My postings do not represent the views of my employers or any other groups. Also, a formatting note: Unless otherwise stated, bold font added to quoted material in my posts indicates my emphasis, not the author’s.
- Newley.com runs on the WordPress content management system.
- My Web host is DreamHost.
- I use the Mac-only MarsEdit desktop blog editor.
- This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
- I welcome feedback via comments on individual posts and via email. I delete comments that I think don’t add anything constructive to the site.
Thanks for visiting.
This page was last updated April 8, 2018.