Hi. I’m Newley Purnell, a Wall Street Journal reporter covering technology, based in New Delhi.
My official bio:
Newley Purnell is a reporter for The Wall Street Journal based in New Delhi, where he covers technology.
Before joining in 2014, Mr. Purnell was a Bangkok-based freelance journalist, contributing to The Journal, Quartz, NewYorker.com, The New York Times, and more. He received a Bachelor of Arts in English from Emory University and a Master’s in business and economics journalism from Columbia University, where he was a Gray International Reporting Fellow. He was born in Eugene, Oregon.
How to contact me
- Personal email: n [AT] newley.com
- For news tips: newley.purnell [AT] wsj.com
- For secure messaging, email me or send me a direct message on Twitter (I’m @Newley), and I’ll give you the phone number I use for Signal.
Subscribe to my newsletter
- Subscribe to my weekly email newsletter to get links to my stories and other links I think are worth sharing.
RSS and Social media
- Follow me on Twitter at @newley.
- There’s also a Twitter feed for all Newley.com blog posts: @newleydotcom.
- In addition, you can subscribe to my public Facebook updates and like my Facebook page.
- Here’s the Newley.com RSS feed.
- I earned a BA in English from Emory University, where I played goalkeeper on the varsity soccer team.
- I received a master’s in business and economics journalism from Columbia University in New York. At Columbia, I was fortunate to be a Gray International Reporting Fellow.
- Here’s a Feb. 2015 interview I did with the Journalism School’s Covering Business website. And Bernard Leong interviewed me in Nov. 2015 for an episode of his Analyse Asia podcast.
About this site
- I registered Newley.com in 1999, began posting material on the site in 2001, and have been blogging consistently since January 2002.
- Over the years, Newley.com has been mentioned in popular blogs like BoingBoing and Kottke.org, as well as in Lonely Planet, in print and online.
- In addition to sharing links to my stories, I often write about books, summing up notable titles I’ve read in my Book Notes posts; delve into sports (mostly soccer); and put together HOWTO guides on gadgets, travel and more.
- Here are some of my most popular posts.
- Here’s an archive of all my posts.
- Other stuff: I maintain a Starbucks Misspellings page to document baristas’ interpretations of my admittedly unusual name.
- My links page has pointers to some of my favorite blogs and email newsletters.
- In blog posts I published through the end of 2013, I occasionally linked to books or other items on Amazon.com using a personal affiliate link. This meant if you clicked through and bought the item, I received a small referral fee. I no longer use such links.
- I post whenever time allows, and often share links via my Twitter feed.
- This blog contains my personal thoughts. My postings do not represent the views of my employers or any other groups. Also, a formatting note: Unless otherwise stated, bold font added to quoted material in my posts indicates my emphasis, not the author’s.
- Newley.com runs on the WordPress content management system.
- My Web host is DreamHost.
- I use the Mac-only MarsEdit desktop blog editor.
- This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
- I welcome feedback via comments on individual posts and via email. I delete comments that I think don’t add anything constructive to the site.
Thanks for visiting.
This page was last updated August 12, 2018.