Edition 92 of my email newsletter, Newley’s Notes, went out yesterday.
To subscribe, simply enter your email address at this link. It’s free, it’s fun, it’s brief, and few people unsubscribe.
Hi, I’m Newley Purnell – welcome to the latest issue of Newley’s Notes, where I share my Wall Street Journal stories, posts from by blog, and various links about technology, business and life.
📝 What I Wrote in The WSJ
- Indian Firms Face Shifting Landscape as Trump Cracks Down on Immigration – With Pres. Trump’s administration increasing the scrutiny on H-1Bs, companies are applying for fewer visas, bringing staff home and trying to accelerate the use of new technologies that require fewer workers.
📲 5 Must-Reads in Tech
1. Is the “sharing economy” good for America? In a piece that was much-Tweeted this week, The New Yorker’s Nathan Heller examines services like Uber, TaskRabbit and Airbnb. The nut graf:
The American workplace is both a seat of national identity and a site of chronic upheaval and shame. The industry that drove America’s rise in the nineteenth century was often inhumane. The twentieth-century corrective—a corporate workplace of rules, hierarchies, collective bargaining, triplicate forms—brought its own unfairnesses. Gigging reflects the endlessly personalizable values of our own era, but its social effects, untried by time, remain uncertain.
2. Clayton Christensen, profiled. Also in The New Yorker, Larissa MacFarquhar looks at the effect that the man who coined the term “disruptive technologies” has had on American business. (My notes from his seminal book “The Innovator’s Dilemma” are here.)
3. There’s a new trailer for “Bladerunner 2049.” I am stoked. So stoked. You can watch it here. Vox has some analysis. And here’s a shot-by-shot comparison showing just how much the firm appears to respect the 1982 original.
4. On having Mark Zuckerberg over for dinner. Daniel Moore, of Newtown Falls, Ohio, had Zuck over for dinner when the Facebook founder was touring the state. He talks about the experience in this Business Insider story.
5. Frightening: Russian website aggregates web-linked security camera footage. CBC news found some even showing medical clinics and the interiors of homes.
💫 1 Fun Thing
1. “history of the entire world, i guess.” That’s the title of this very amusing video that explains everything from the birth of this universe to artificial intelligence.
What’d I miss? Just hit reply to send me links, rants, raves, juicy news scoops and anything else.
Thanks for reading.
- 💯 Newley’s Notes 100: Grab, Mobike Scoops; teleporting photons; gorgeous goats
- Subscribe to My New Email Newsletter, Newley’s Notes
- Brian Eno’s Favorite Books; AeroPress Inventor; Creepy/Cute kangaroos; Creepy/Cute Drones
- Newley’s Notes 93: iPhone Scoop; SoftBank Allegations; Bluths Coming Back
- 📨 Newley’s Notes 94: Ambient Computing; Drones for Dummies; Dogs in Pools