Last fall I began using email newsletters* to keep abreast of the day’s biggest business and economics stories.
Since I’ve been spending a lot of time in class, mostly away from news sites, I’ve come to appreciate these daily email compilations. Here are a few I like:
- Reuters Counterparties. This “curated snapshot of the best finance news and commentary” is a stand-alone Reuters Web site edited by Felix Salmon and Ryan McCarthy. You can sign up for the daily newsletter by selecting Counterparties here.
- Quartz, the new-ish business news site, has a good roundup called the Quartz Daily Brief. (The site hasn’t been loading properly for me for a few days, but you should be able to find the newsletter via the home page.)
- The Marketplace Newsletter includes links to the well known radio show‘s most most-viewed articles, provides a mid-day update on the markets, and has links to its various episodes.
- The Bloomberg Most Popular daily email contains just that — the site’s most popular stories of the day. You can sign up here.
In addition, I like two newsletters that don’t focus exclusively on business journalism, but that are generally informative:
- The Muck Rack Daily lists the stories many journalists are Tweeting about. Some pieces tend to be business-focused, but most aren’t. (Visiting the site again, I’m reminded that the Muck Rack folks posted a brief interview with me a few months back.)
- And finally, Dave Pell’s NextDraft contains reliably entertaining, interesting, and off-beat links. For example, a recent edition linked to a BuzzFeed piece on how teenagers used the Web, an AP piece on Major League Baseball teams ditching their landlines, Rend Smith’s IHT column called “Diary of a Creep,” an Atlantic piece on the “trillion dollar coin,” and a New York Magazine story on Jack Lew’s signature.
*Yes, email newsletters! Remember those? Good ol’ email: Still the Web’s killer app?
(Image via Wikipedia.)
- Subscribe to My New Email Newsletter, Newley’s Notes
- Brian Eno’s Favorite Books; AeroPress Inventor; Creepy/Cute kangaroos; Creepy/Cute Drones
- Not Sure What to Read in the ‘New Yorker’? Subscribe to this Email Newsletter
- Newley’s Notes 92: Gig Economy; New ‘Bladerunner’ Trailer; Dinner with Mark
- Self-Promotion: New Story on Freelancing Abroad