No, it wasn’t that kind of safety dance.
The front page of yesterday’s Bangkok Post was adorned with the photo above. The caption said this group of Thai policewomen was dancing…
…to raise awareness about safe driving during the upcoming Songkran festival as part of a wider campaign by police to reduce fatalities and injuries from road accidents during the holiday period.
Video of what appears to be the performance, along with other footage, is embedded above and available on YouTube here.
According to Thailand News, the song is called “สงกรานต์ขับไม่ดื่ม Songkran-Kub-Mai-Duem (Drink don’t drive in Songkran).”
Songkran runs from roughly April 13-16.
Update — April 13: Fixed the title of this post to correct the spelling of Songkran.
- Amazing Video: Hippo Devouring a Watermelon in One Bite
- Thailand protest update: demonstrations move beyond Bangkok
- Very Cool: Video Footage of NYC from the late 19th and Early 20th Centuries
- Thailand update: Drone footage provides vivid views of yesterday’s clashes
- Another unexpected stateside reminder of Thailand: Gale Boetticher’s karaoke performance