Old job: Prime minister of Thailand, 2001-2006
New image: Since being deposed in a 2006 coup amid allegations of graft and human rights abuses, Thaksin has lived a peripatetic existence. The former billionaire businessman has served as a “special ambassador” for Nicaragua and an economic advisor in Cambodia, and was briefly owner of the Manchester City* soccer club. Thaksin reportedly lived under a false name in Germany for more than a year and has used illegally received passports from a number of other countries as well. He now makes his home in Dubai.
(Via Saksith at Siam Voices.)
- Self-Promotion: New WSJ Southeast Asia Real Time Story on Return of Banned Thai Politicians
- Thailand Police Chief Visits Thaksin in Hong Kong
- Thaksin Talks to Bloomberg about Yingluck, the Amnesty Bill, and Lèse-Majesté
- Stories of the Day, Panetta in Cambodia Edition
- An update on Thailand’s amnesty bill — and the potential for protests early next month